There are three main reasons you would want to look after them properly:
- Your lash health. If you regularly do bad things to them as listed below, it can compromise your lash health and slow down the growth of new lashes. Your lids can become itchy from the buildup of dead skin if they are not cleaned regularly.
- They will look better for longer. Eyelash extensions that have been coated in mascara, oily makeup and strip lashes don’t look that great.
- Infill cost and financial/time factors. If you look after your lashes and retain them well, you won’t need to come in as frequently or for extended infill appointments, which will save you money. Our infills are charged based on the amount of lashes that we have to replace each time.
- Try not to touch them much, particularly during the first few hours. The more you touch them, the more oils from your fingers get on them, the more strain on the lash root etc.
- Keep them as dry as possible for at least 12-24 hours. This means, it’s ideal if don’t wash your hair during this time. However, if you need to, use only lukewarm water, and keep water off your eyes. This also includes avoiding steamy environments, very hot showers, spas, saunas etc. for 24 hours as a minimum. If it’s a very hot and humid day, try to stay out of the heat. All of this will allow the adhesive to cure as strongly as possible.
- After the 24 hour mark, they are technically waterproof, however, if you are swimming or sitting in a hot spa daily, they probably won’t last quite as long as if you didn’t, more from rubbing them when water gets in your eyes.
- If you have a very oily face, try to control this as much as possible with blotting papers, mattifying lotions etc. and by using oil-control moisturizer.
- Make sure you are using oil-free products on your face, particularly eye makeup removers and cleansers. We recommend BORBOLETA Makeup Remover & Cleanser.
- If you are a makeup wearer, a makeup remover is required. A cleanser will not have the ability to remove heavy makeup such as eyeliner, eyeshadow or mascara.
- Clean them properly, at least a few times a week with a foaming or gel lash cleanser.
- Let us know before your fill if you think you will need more time because you have lost more lashes than expected, or want to upgrade to a thicker set/more lashes.
- Let us know if you have any concerns or questions we’re always happy to help!
- Do not play with or pick at your lashes, rub your eyes roughly. If you are a picker, it can really damage your natural lashes
- Do not use oily products on your eyes or face
- Do not use waterproof or oil based mascara or eyeliner (felt tip/pen-style liquid liner is usually fine)
- Do not use any mascara if you can help it
- Do not use baby wipes/makeup wipes/cotton pads to wipe makeup off them
- Do not try to remove them yourself as it may damage your natural lashes. We can remove them for you if you wish
- Do not use cleansing oils, coconut oil etc. on your face if you want the lashes to last
- Do not put strip lashes on top of them unless you are prepared to lose a few of your own lashes when you try to take them off.
- Do not expose your lashes to high temperatures of heat (ex: leaning over a stove, opening an oven, lighting a cigarette, blowdrying hair too close to the face) as this may cause your extensions to singe at the tips and relax the curl.
What is normal
- Immediately after the lash application, some individuals with sensitivities can experience minor redness and dry eye. We try to minimize this where possible, so we will ask if you are sensitive beforehand. In most cases, this disappears within an hour or so and there is no need to worry. Of course, call us if you are concerned.
- It’s normal to lose a couple of lashes every day (1-5). Don’t be alarmed if you notice them from time to time (as they are much larger than your natural lashes). The extension falls out attached to the natural lash when it is ready to come out, and a new baby lash takes its place. Some days you won’t lose any, other days you might lose 3 or 4. It’s completely normal and does not mean your eyelashes are all going to fall out!
- Some lash growth cycles are faster than others. You may find every few months, your lashes shed faster than other times. It usually means that you have a lot of new growth, and when you come in we will see a lot more lashes we can lash! Other times they might still look great at 4 or 5 weeks, as they have not shed much.
- No two sets of lashes are identical. We customize the styling, sizes, weights and curls to every individuals eye shape, natural lash condition and tastes. Each style looks different depending on how own eye shape. So please be aware that your lashes will not look identical to your friends, even if you request the same thing.
- Expect between 2-4 weeks before you need an infill. On average, our clients come back every 3 weeks. Sets consisting of more lashes (hybrid and volume) will usually last longer than those will less (classic and lite hybrid). Shorter lashes usually last longer too.
What’s not normal
- If you experience intense itching and or red/swollen eyelids in the first few days after the application. This could be an allergic reaction. Unfortunately, this can not be for-seen, but luckily they are rare, and can be treated. There are ways to still get you lashes done with this condition, connect with your lash artist for more details. Please contact us if you are worried or have any questions.
- Excessive shedding of extensions off the natural lashes in the first few days. This is uncommon, but please contact us if you feel they are shedding rapidly within the first 3 days of application so we can troubleshoot and/or assess your lashes.
- If (after wearing extensions for a while) you find your eyes sometimes feel gritty and sandy, this can mean that you really need to clean your lashes more frequently/properly. Your technician can assess your lash line and give advice on the best way to clean your lashes.
Infills: If you wish to maintain your lashes, usually between 2-4 weeks, you will require infills. Timing depends on factors such as:
- Generally, the more lashes we apply, the longer they last (more to lose)
- How you treat them
- Your lash cycle and how fast you are shedding/growing lashes
- Your skin type (oilier complexions usually shed lashes faster)
We will fill in lashes around 3-4 weeks, as long as at least 20 lashes on each eye have been retained. Please let us know in advance if you think you will need more time than usual or want to add any additional services. If your appointment is booked after 4 weeks from your previous appointment, you will be charged for a full set instead of a fill.